We are very lucky to have our own Forest School on site. Our own site was re-developed in 2021 and has been planted and developed by our own students. We have strong links with Chameleon Outdoors and Nature Friendly Schools, who have helped developed our Forest School Area.
Children at St Malachy's take part in the Wild Passport Curriculum and in Year 6 children are able to work towards the Endeavour Certification.
Many children learn best outdoors and benefit from the child-led learning available at Forest School. Children can use the skills they learn in Forest School when they are learning inside the classroom too, we make links to their classroom learning in science, numeracy and literacy, bringing a relevance to their classroom work.
Forest Schools helps children to:
- increase their self-awareness, self-esteem, and self-respect
- improve and maintain their physical and mental health
- give them the opportunity to work with other children, developing the essential social skills for collaboration and team work
- allow them to increase their confidence through developing new skills
- promote their imagination, independence and creativity
- connect with nature and develop an understanding of the natural world
- offer opportunities for children of all abilities and backgrounds to play together
- provide opportunities for developing social skills and learning
- build resilience through risk taking and challenge, problem solving, and dealing with new situations
- learn about their environment and the wider community.
Our Outdoor Learning Scheme of Work